The three major Family Law reviews were handed down in January 2010. It was recognised that the current Shared Parenting Laws are not working in situations where domestic violence is a factor and need to be changed to ensure that children's rights, wellbeing and safety is of paramount importance.

While this is good news for children, the extreme father's rights groups have been protesting about the recommended changes, threatening to not vote for the current government if they dare implement them. They say they have 16,000 members that they can mobilize.

The Attorney General has flagged that he won't make any legislative changes because of their threats before the election. Afterwards, we will have little if no hope because the reviews will be long gone and media interest faded.

If ever there was a time to make the last push to get legislative change, it is now. Parents and professionals concerned about children's safety under the current laws need to let the Federal Government know their votes are also at risk, not only those of father's rights groups.

We urge you to write to your local politician and Federal MP to demonstrate your support for the implementation of these recommended changes. We have made it as easy as possible for you with some very simple steps and we have also written the letter for you ready to send to your politician, you just need add your details. Here's how to do it:

Click here to find your Federal MP

  • Step 1: Click on our link that provides a list of local Federal Members of Parliament (MPs) and their contact details:
  • AND
  • Click on our link that provides a list of local members and their contact details:
  • NOTE: Send to both your Federal MP and/or Local Member, however the Federal MP is the priority!

    Click here to personalise your local member letter

  • Step 2: Download this letter and email/post off to your local member. Remember that the highlighted sections in the pro forma letter need to be completed by you. Please make sure you do this before sending the letter.

  • Step 3: If you don't receive a response from your politician call or email them again asking for a response. If you still don't get a response let us know as we are compiling a list of members that don't respond to their constituents.
Back to Top